Monday, February 13, 2012

Cabin fever, even in the "winter that wasn't"

Well, here it is mid February and everything is pretty well wadded into the garage for it's long winter sleep. No heat= no working out in the shop. But that doesn't mean there is no activity.  There have been a few  projects since my last update way too long ago. I have acquired a Model A Maytag wringer washer to go with an old Maytag gas engine I've had for a little while. It just needs a few odd bits to make the conversion, and when it's done I'll be sure to post a video just for interests sake.

Also, the other big addition is a beat up old 1970 VW Type 3 fastback (In the pic above). Immediately named "Abby" as in Abby Normal because it's such an unusual car.  It took a few weeks of tinkering to get back on the road, but it's been fun tooling around in an old air cooled VW  while I wait to get the TR done.
Now, on the the TR2. About all I got done before temps prohibited me from any more painting was what you saw in my last pic.  The rear apron has been sanded, and worked out, and will be ready for paint in spring. All that's left is the passenger side.  The engine is apart and patiently waiting for measurements, and decisions about bearings, and hopefully I'll get an order placed for engine goodies also in the spring.
Right now I have the carburetors sitting on my workbench in the basement, needing rebuild kits.  I did not get a class to teach for the spring semester, and we have been on 8 hour days for a long stretch now at work, so unless someone magically comes up with a carb rebuild kit for the TR3 carbs I have, they will just get really well cleaned and also wait for a while.
Progress is slow in the cold. But soon  it will be green-up, and I can move the lawn furniture back outdoors to make room to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment