Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The journey begins

Welcome to the beginning of what may be an epic adventure. Let me start by introducing the cast.  First, there's me. I'm a 30-something auto mechanic who has always been a bit of an off-beat person. I like living history, bluegrass music and old mechanical things among my other interests. then there's my family. My wife of almost 14 years, Gabrielle, and my daughter Em' who's 10.
But this blog is  about a car, and the community that  I'm part of because of it.
This car is a 1954 Triumph TR2. My dad and I drove to Vermont several years back and picked up the trailer load of parts that I hope someday soon will become a drivable car.  I have had high hopes since bringing it home, but it always gets put on the back burner, and is currently languishing under a heap of junk in my 20x20 unheated garage here in the deep freeze of a New York winter.
the community is an online forum called the British Car Forum or "BCF". I have been an active member there since before I had the TR2. When I joined I had a 1966 TR4A that was barely hanging together.
I have made several great friends through the forum, and have had the chance to meet a few.  I went to Puerto Rico and visited "Tinster" Dale Todd and his wife, and helped work on his infamous TR6 known as Amos.
I met up with "Doctor Entropy" and his wife while on vacation  in warmer climates (Top secret security prohibits exact location disclosure hehehe)  Got to ride shotgun with John Herrara in his Powder blue TR3 during the "Tour de Marque" at Watking Glen vintage festival 2 years ago. Had "AngliaGT" Doug and his wife over for a chat  one fine evening,  Met up with Nial Mcabe and his wife at Watking Glen International while he was racing his MG Midget, and later had a great dinner at Seneca Lodge.  And a few others I totally can't remember  right now.
Anyhow, how this all fits together is this.
I have put out a call to the BCF to help me out in making this pile of parts into a car.  I need to get pieces as cheap as possible. I'm a professional Auto mechanic, and have experience working on vintage British cars, so doing the work is not the problem, but my budget had never materialized. So I need to get creative here.

I'm calling for all my fellow gearheads to find some of those bits they have been sitting on for years. Old gasket sets, and other odd bits, to help put this car together.  All contributors will be added to the "Wall of fame" that will be on the front wall of the boot (That's the trunk on an American car). And we're gonna see where this all leads.
I hope to add regular updates both here and on the BCF, along with pictures and more, so everyone can be part of "The Great Low Budget TR2 Build"!

No comments:

Post a Comment